At a glance:
- These Strawberry Chocolate Sweet Rolls by integrative nutrition health coach, speaker, and educator D'Yonna Riley are perfect for all those lovebirds who have food sensitivities, allergies, or are just mindful of what they put into their bodies.
- The dough consists mainly of cassava, a form of resistant starch that supports beneficial gut bacteria.
- The homemade strawberry jam contains plenty of antioxidants and fiber.
These Strawberry Chocolate Sweet Rolls by integrative nutrition health coach, speaker, and educator D'Yonna Riley (@dyonna.riley) are perfect for all those lovebirds who have food sensitivities, allergies, or are just mindful of what they put into their bodies.
This recipe might be gluten-free, grain free, nut-free, oil-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free, but it’s also undeniably tasty and satisfying!
We are so excited to collaborate with D’Yonna on this recipe, because she stands for everything we believe in at KOR: quality ingredients that fuel a better body and mind.
D’Yonna is a true inspiration! After receiving multiple autoimmune diagnoses, she decided to adopt an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. But she didn’t let that stop her, or anyone else, from enjoying delicious foods.
Now, she is the founder of Nirvita Health, where she helps high-performing, purpose-driven individuals powerfully navigate life changes and reach their ultimate state of well-being.
About the recipe:
This recipe puts a twist on a Valentine’s Day favorite: chocolate covered strawberries! Imagine, warm, soft dough stuffed with homemade strawberry jam and chocolate – but guilt free!
Here’s why the recipe is so good for you:
The dough consists mainly of cassava, a form of resistant starch that supports beneficial gut bacteria, lowers inflammation, increases metabolism, and is particularly high in vitamin C to support immunity. The dough also contains probiotic-rich coconut yogurt, as well as coconut butter for additional fiber and healthy fats.
Second, the homemade jam contains plenty of antioxidants and fiber from the strawberries. The chia seeds contribute additional fiber, omega-3s, calcium, and phosphorus, which help build healthy bones and teeth. Not to mention, a touch of lemon zest to boost the flavor also helps stimulate liver detox.
As for the chocolate itself… it’s just tasty! D’Yonna recommends opting for a low-sugar chocolate chip to keep the rolls as healthy as possible.
For the strawberry filling
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the chocolate sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sugar chocolate chips (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 tbsp non dairy milk
For the dough
- 2/3 cup plain, unsweetened cultured coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Bring the strawberries, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a simmer on low heat.
- In a separate small container, mix the lemon juice and tapioca flour. Set aside.
- While the strawberry mixture breaks down, melt your chocolate chips and non-dairy milk in a separate saucepan. Once melted, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Return to the berry mixture. Ensure the strawberries are mostly broken down. You'll likely need to mash the berries by hand. Then, remove from heat. Stir in the lemon mixture, chia seeds, and zest until thickened. Let cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut yogurt and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Next, whisk the cassava flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Once done, add the coconut butter and vanilla extract to the yogurt mixture, and stir.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients into a ball. This should have a dough-like texture.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper to a 1/4" thickness. Be sure to dust the paper with extra tapioca flour. Ideally, the dough will be somewhat rectangular.
- Spread the chocolate sauce on the dough. Then, spread the strawberry mixture on top.
- Using the parchment paper, roll the dough into a "log." Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, prep the muffin pan by lightly greasing 6 cavities with oil (I used coconut oil).
- When the 15 minutes is up, cut the "log" into 6 pieces. Place each roll in a muffin cavity.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and flip the rolls. You may need to let them cool for a few minutes, so you don't burn yourself.
- Once flipped, bake for another 7 minutes.
- Enjoy warm, with an extra drizzle of chocolate or with a scoop of your favorite healthy ice cream!
Make your Valentine’s the most delicious one yet with these grain, gluten, and refined sugar-free sweet rolls that taste just as good as the real thing. We promise your mind and body will thank you for it!Looking for more healthy recipes from KOR? Our blog features everything from probiotic-rich staples to turmeric-based snacks and even a stress-relieving kale salad.