Baobab — pronounced bay-oh-bab — is as enjoyable to say as it is to eat.
The baobab tree is nearly all usable, too, making it perhaps one of nature’s most sustainable trees. The tree bears a fruit that's ground up for a variety of baobab powder uses. Plus, its fruit, seeds, and leaves are all nutritious and have off-the-chart levels of vitamin C!
The uniqueness of the tree doesn’t stop there.
The baobab tree — from which the powder and fruit are extracted — is often called “the upside-down tree” due to its strangely-shaped branches that resemble roots. This hearty and giving tree has a variety of uses. For years, it has supplied areas in Africa, Australia, and the Middle East with food, medicine, and even clothing.
Here’s a look at the ever-versatile baobab and its popular powder that can be found in a variety of health products.
What is Baobab Powder?
Image credit: KAIBAE
The baobab tree produces edible fruit and leaves, along with nutritious seeds and a pulp that’s ground into a powder. You’re more likely to find it as a powdered product than in fruit-form unless you live in one of its native locations.
Best of all, it’s full of important nutrients and minerals like:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Baobab powder uses vary; you can find it added to food and beverage products. It’s often used as a natural preservative, too.
Cool Baobab Fact: No heat is necessary for it to dry out and turn into powder! The fruit pulp naturally dries while it is still hanging on the branch.
Easy Baobab Powder Uses
Image credit: KAIBAE
Excited to start using baobab powder? Thanks to the versatility of this incredible tree’s properties, you can find quite a few baobab powder uses in your everyday life. It’s especially easy to spoon into a smoothie or mix in with your favorite baked goods.
Below, are some creative and easy baobab powder uses:
Mix it into your favorite drinks - Whatever you’re drinking, mix some baobab powder in! Smoothies and juices are a convenient and easy way to try this healthy powder. It’s already mixed into our organic shot, POTENT-C!
Use it on your skin - The high vitamin C levels in baobab powder will brighten your skin. Mix a teaspoon of baobab powder with a little bit of water and smooth the paste onto your skin. After 20 minutes or so, wash it off for smoother, healthier-looking skin.
Add to baked goods - Give your favorite bread a fiber boost when you use baobab powder during the baking process.
Sprinkle on your favorite dishes - Whatever easy snack or meal you’re eating, you can probably sprinkle it with baobab powder. Try it atop your favorite yogurts, granola, oatmeal, etc.
Blend it - Toss a teaspoon or two of baobab powder into your favorite dressings, sauces, jams, etc.
- Drink it - Add it to hot water with some lemon for the ultimate vitamin C boost!
Where to Buy Baobab Powder
You can order straight baobab powder online or find it in most local natural health food stores. Prefer the convenience of it pre-mixed in a delicious to-go shot? Try out our sea buckthorn shot, POTENT-C, which has baobab powder in it!
Benefits of Baobab Fruit in General
Have you started to notice that we love unique, healthy ingredients?
Here at KOR Shots, we can’t help but incorporate them into our products.
Here’s a look at the health perks of baobab powder:
- Helps digestion - Just two tablespoons of baobab powder equals 9 grams of fiber! This can slow digestion, making you feel fuller, longer.
- Balances blood sugar - Thanks to its fiber content, baobab powder may be used to slow sugar absorption, too. If your sugar spikes and crashes often, you may want to try some baobab powder in your diet.
Supports the immune system - If you need a real vitamin C boost, baobab should be your go-to given its vitamin C levels is up to 10 times that of oranges! Vitamin C is a must-have for a healthy immune system. It also acts as a skin brightener and keeps bones strong, too.
- Has other essential nutrients - Baobab is a great source of a variety of minerals and nutrients including calcium, phosphorus, potassium, proteins, and lipids in the fruit.
Health Perk Alert: Powdered baobab is rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, iron, niacin, and potassium.
Final Facts About This Unique Fruit
Image credit: KAIBAE
This incredible fruit provides so many nutrients and is quite versatile in its uses. As if you couldn’t love this incredible gift of nature any more, here are a few more fun facts about the baobab tree and fruit:
- Baobab powder uses are plentiful - In countries where the fruit isn’t grown, you’ll usually find it in powder form. In Africa, where the baobab tree is a food staple, the leaves are sun-dried and pounded and strained into a powder. Nearly every part of the tree can be used and it’s often appreciated for its medicinal purposes.
- Goodbye, wrinkles - Some European studies have discovered the baobab tree’s leaf and bark extracts may tighten and tone skin.
Great for your bones - If you can get a hold of them, baobab leaves are a rich source of calcium. Love spinach? You can use the dried leaves as a sauce to add to rice and porridge.
Unique habitat - The baobab tree only grows in specific regions of the world. You’ll find this tree growing in the Middle East, Australia, and certain parts of Africa.
- Multiple uses - When mixed with water, the fruit pulp dissolves quickly and can be served as a drink or even as a replacement for cream of tartar while baking.
Have you ever tried baobab? What’s your favorite way to use it? Let us know in the comments below!
Don’t want to deal with the mess of measuring out baobab powder for use in a recipe? Try our convenient organic shot instead! POTENT-C is rich in vitamin C with its ingredients of orange juice, pineapple juice, sea buckthorn juice, lemon juice, and baobab powder!